Re: front fog lights

I just joined your facebook group Gaz

Andy
<<

gaz

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Nice 1 - it's really taking off isn't it ;-)
<<

Nikki Lewis

Dudette

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 am

The policeman also gave him a nice fine for having his front fog lights on. He said it was to "jog his memory and not put them on unless it was foggy" - It was this bobbies pet hate too lol

We need ALOT more Police Officers who share the same pet hate, instead I find they've set up a 'police check area' IN A BUS STOP with blue faslhing lights in the road with a marked car round the cornor in radio contact with the officers at the check area suggesting cars to pull over to do random checks! They even pulled over an old woman in a Nissan Micra whilst the bus had to stop in the middle of the road to load/unload! Oh I wish I had my camera!
<<

andtym

Dudette

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 pm

I am still surprised to notice that the Police drivers are a very common culprit of running with front Fog Headlights switched on.
Yes, I have been stopped and warned once for having my dipped Headlights off and my Fog Headlights on, in town. I'll get back to that if you want details.

But why do the police, both Traffic and Pandas, do it so often?
Could it be that they do not consider Fog Headlights as an additional hazard, or that it is not against the law, or that they consider themselves above the LAW?
<<

gaz

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:46 pm

Give us all the details mate......
It's not like this place is teeming with activity :lol:
<<

andtym

Dudette

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi,
the one time I have been stopped by the Police for having "allegedly unlawful" lighting switched on, was witnessed by a number of my friends who were all leaving the event that I had just attended. The car had very recently passed an MOT and during it the Tester replaced a failed Dip bulb. The new bulb was inserted wrongly and aligned far too high ! To save dazzling oncoming vehicles both within lit up areas and outwith lit up areas I had my dipped headlights turned off and my Fog Headlights turned on.

I was parked three cars from the junction ahead.
I switched on my lights, back to the way they were when I arrived at the venue and started to "unpark" my car.
I pulled forward the 20m or so to reach the junction and noticed the car opposite was dazzling me with it's Dipped Headlights. It was a Police Panda car waiting/stopped/parked next to the public house on the corner. The dipped headlights were properly aligned but the camber of the road on which it was standing was the cause of the dazzling for me. My own Headlights cut off well before the Police car, due to a lower angle of alignment and a flatter section of roadway.
I pulled out from and round the junction. The Police car immediately followed me with blue light already flashing . I stopped and got out to meet the two Police officers. I had traveled a total distance of ~50m from my parking place.
The lead officer accused me of illegally using Fog Lights and went on to tell a bunch of lies about the dazzle I was causing, the hazard I was creating and that I had dazzled her. She warned me and we parted, I having put back on my misaligned Dipped Headlight and turn off my Fog Headlights. The next morning I went out and properly refitted the upside down dip bulb.

The 5 friends each in separate vehicles that witnessed the "stop" all said it appeared the Police were waiting for me. I think it was a coincidence since they could not know where I was nor when I was due to return to my car.

It seems that I got a warning for deliberately choosing not to dazzle oncoming traffic by switching on lights I knew did not dazzle in lieu of a light I knew would cause a hazard.
It may be the law, but in this case the law is being interpreted stupidly.
<<

gaz

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:02 pm

DURING an MOT the tester replaced a bulb & did not check the alignment after?
All I can say is that I trust you made a formal complaint about that!
Did he tick the headlight aim section on the MOT?

Please let us all know where this MOT station was so we can avoid it :D
<<

gaz

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:04 pm

All 10 of us pmsl......
<<

andtym

Dudette

Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:39 pm

"did I make a formal complaint?"
No, I want to continue using that MOT station. It is the second nearest (9miles away) from my home and the owner is my neighbour.

I stopped using the nearest (6miles away) because I thought he was too strict.
<<

Nikki Lewis

Dudette

Post Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 am

andtym wrote:"did I make a formal complaint?"
No, I want to continue using that MOT station. It is the second nearest (9miles away) from my home and the owner is my neighbour.

I stopped using the nearest (6miles away) because I thought he was too strict.

They say on these TV programmes not to employ friends/neighbours to do building work because it can often go wrong, maybe this should be extended to not using friends/neighbours to do MOTs!

Sounds like your nearest who you thought was too strict would have been the better option and may have prevented you from getting pulled over.
Previous

Return to Why do you / they do it???